Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving. The Pilgrims

Hi! My name is Plymouth, Plymouth rock. Now you might just wonder how a rock ever got a name like Plymouth. Well, let me tell you howit  all happened; the year was 1620. It was a normal day for me sitting on the beach getting some sun, minding my own business when lo and behold along comes this boat. Then, can you believe it? as big as I am it bumps into me.
- Who said that?
- I think it was the rock
- The rock!
- Oh, whatever.
- Let's plant the flag, shall we?  I do yell by name this place Plymouth
- Very nice, and what about a name for the rock?
- I do yell by name this rock Plymouth rock
- Is that the only name you know?
- It sounds great to me. Let's go.

And so the pilgrims got off the boat and began the hard work and set up the settlement in the new world.

Now, I don't know whose idea it was to try to build a settlement at the beginning of winter, but needless to say, the pilgrims had it pretty rough.

- How was... was... was... your hunting? I'm hungry.
- Fish fillet anyone?
- Please, have mercy on us!

Finally the long hard winter passed and spring came, my favourite time of the year. The sun was shining, the grass was growing, the birds were singing and the pilgrims went out to plant.

- Number one... dig hole, checked....number two...
- You don't really know what you're doing, do you?
- I admit it. I'm not much of a farmer.

But God had heard their prayer,s and sent along one of the locals to help them, an English-speaking Indian by the name of  Squanto.

- Would you like some help?
- Yes, please.

So with lots of hard work and working together with their new friends, the Indians, by the end of the season,
they had an abundant harvest.

- God, we thank you for all our families and friends and for Thy many blessings.
- Amen to that.
- We should do this every year!

And so began the tradition of Thanksgiving, when family and friends get together to fellowship and eat and thank God for His many blessings, and as for me for some reason they decided to give me a new home where lots of people come to visit me and take pictures. I am of all rocks most truly blessed.

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment